.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Guy's Blog

Just one Guy's personal blog of thoughts & sense--common, non, and otherwise--of the world in which we live.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nipomo, Central Coast, California, United States

I also blog over at Nipomo News, Messenger and Advocate and Bloggernacle Times

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

What Gives Me Pause

I've been pondering the last few days just what it is that gives me pause about Harriet Miers' nomination. Most of her political opposition at this point is from the far conservative right. I don't consider myself as part of that political group. I am not an evangelical. I don't support George Bush the man, or most of his policies. I am not part of the conservative, intellectual, thinking elite who have for the most part taken upon themselves to oppose Ms. Miers' nomination; yet, I find myself in almost complete agreement with what they are saying about her. So, why is this?

I sense much of the the conservative opposition to Ms. Miers revolves almost exclusively around the abortion issue. There may be some sub issues involved as well, such as prayer in schools, gay marriage, and the so-called cultural war issues; however, for the most part it seems this conservative movement is mostly troubled by the fact Ms. Miers is an unknown quantity. They don't know how she will approach and decide these issues. It also seems that they justify their opposition on the basis that Ms. Miers is unqualified for the seat.

I, on the other hand, don't find the cultural issues so troubling--some I do, but not all. I am personally opposed to abortion, and would not likely enourage anyone I know to undergo such a procedure, except if the life of the mother were in danger, or in cases of incest or rape; however, I believe the choice should be available in those particular cases. Yet, I am most troubled not by how she might vote one way or the other in the cultural issues, as I am about whether she is truly up to the task of Supreme Court judging.

It is simply beyond belief that there aren't more experienced jurists or legal minds, not necessarily jurists, who are more familiar with the constitutional issues that confront the Supreme Court each term. I would be much more comfortable with the appointment of such an individual, regardless of how I thought they might vote on the cultural issues.

I listened to Robert Bork yesterday talk about Ms. Miers. Again, I found myself agreeing with him and his critique on Ms. Miers. And, while I agree with Judge Bork, I was extremely grateful that he was unsuccessful as a prior Supreme Court nominee; however, to be consistent, if he, or another justice with similar views and experience were nominated, I think I would have to support the nomination out of principle. I firmly believe that a President is entitled to nominate most any person for a position, as long as that person is actually qualified for the job. Unfortunately, here, Mr. Bush has missed the qualification mark by so much with the Miers' nomination it is really not a difficult choice.

That said, I would like to hear Ms. Miers' testimony at the hearings to better determine her qualifications or lack thereof; however, at this stage, I'm certainly in agreement with all those conservative commentators, writers, and thinkers who have serious doubts about her. I just think I'm on a different page though. As far as I'm concerned it is just as wrong to pack the Supreme Court with a justice whom you know will vote a certain way on the cultural issues, as it is to appoint a justice who is not up to the job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home