.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Guy's Blog

Just one Guy's personal blog of thoughts & sense--common, non, and otherwise--of the world in which we live.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nipomo, Central Coast, California, United States

I also blog over at Nipomo News, Messenger and Advocate and Bloggernacle Times

Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Good Question For Mr. Bush

I don't suppose Mr. Bush gets many of these types of questions in the scripted and controlled public appearances he routinely makes; but, every once in a while a real person actually gets through. That's what Mr. Harry Taylor did today at one of Mr. Bush's promotional tours touting his immoral war of choice in Iraq. Mr. Taylor's repartee with Mr. Bush went like this:

Q You never stop talking about freedom, and I appreciate that. But while I listen to you talk about freedom, I see you assert your right to tap my telephone, to arrest me and hold me without charges, to try to preclude me from breathing clean air and drinking clean water and eating safe food. If I were a woman, you'd like to restrict my opportunity to make a choice and decision about whether I can abort a pregnancy on my own behalf. You are --

THE PRESIDENT: I'm not your favorite guy. Go ahead. (Laughter and applause.) Go on, what's your question?

Q Okay, I don't have a question. What I wanted to say to you is that I -- in my lifetime, I have never felt more ashamed of, nor more frightened by my leadership in Washington, including the presidency, by the Senate, and --

AUDIENCE MEMBERS: Booo!

THE PRESIDENT: No, wait a sec -- let him speak.

Q And I would hope -- I feel like despite your rhetoric, that compassion and common sense have been left far behind during your administration, and I would hope from time to time that you have the humility and the grace to be ashamed of yourself inside yourself. And I also want to say I really appreciate the courtesy of allowing me to speak what I'm saying to you right now. That is part of what this country is about.

THE PRESIDENT: It is, yes. (Applause.)

Q And I know that this doesn't come welcome to most of the people in this room, but I do appreciate that.

THE PRESIDENT: Appreciate --

Q I don't have a question, but I just wanted to make that comment to you.
I say good for you Mr. Taylor for having the courage to get up in the midst of one of Mr. Bush's Iraqi infomercials, and speak your piece. It's rare indeed Mr. Bush ever hears a voice of discontent confront him directly.

4 Comments:

Blogger annegb said...

Sounds like the president handled it well to me.

I have the same reservations as that guy.

What would you do differently if you were the president? I mean go from 9/11 and think what would you do differently?

8:38 AM  
Blogger Guy Murray said...

Hi Annegb, Nice to see you again over here in the secular world! ;-) From 9/11 on, like Mr. Bush, I would have gone after the Taliban in Afghanistan; but, slightly differently. I would have immediately gone to Congress and asked for a formal declaration of war.

I would not have outsourced any of the war effort to Afghanistan warlords, and would have made it clear to Afghanistan and Pakistan's government we wanted Bid Laden, regardless of whose political toes we might step on. And, I would have gone in and got him.

I would never have even considered Iraq as a possible threat. Rather, I would have spent the billions and billions we have spent there on real homeland security, beefing up our ports, mass transit, and other potential weak links subject to terrorist attacks.

I would also have gone on cross country trip asking American's to sacrafice with me, and rid ourselves of our addiction to foreign oil. I would have encouraged the world's finest economic engine, and all its brilliant engineers, scientists and researchers to develop better energy resources to curb our foreign oil needs.

Those are just a few of the things I would have done as President, rather than what actually has been done.

What about you? What might you have done differently?

10:53 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

I think that the President handled it so well, that I beleive that it was a set up. The guy seemed sincere and probably was. The President has gotten a bad rap lately for not being able to take criticism. It almost seems like a set up, they let the guy in on purpose, and made sure he had the mike. Usually, they are extremely good about weeding out these guys...

Guy, I think your list of things that you would have done is a good one. I would add that I would have vetped the Patriot Act and would have never have ilegally tapped phone lines.

It always irratates me when they keep talking about the "War in Iraq", legally, this is not a war. The first "Gulf War" was not a war. Vietnam was not a war, and Korea was not a war. These were all police actions. Police actions give the President too much power. Read the Constitution, congress is the only body that can declare war. We have circumvented the very document we are trying to protect for all of these "wars".

It makes no sense to me.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Guy Murray said...

Ian,

It could have been a set up. I hadn't really considered that possibility; but, you're right. These folks are certainly not beyond that type of conduct.

I agree on your addition to the list of no Patriot Act, and no illegal tapping of phone lines. I especially agree on the "war powers act." If we go to war and start killing folks, then Congress needs to fulfill their constitutional duties and declare war, and oversee the war as appropriate.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home